The 785 Large Mining Truck was Caterpillar’s first entry into the mining industry more than three decades ago and has been a proven performer on sites around the world ever since. And now it’s the first to combine a game-changing level of efficiency with industry-leading physical availability to deliver the next generation of productive hauling. It all starts with the operator, who sits in a state-of-the-art environment designed for efficiency and equipped with features that increase comfort, automate functions, provide real-time information and boost confidence. The 785 also delivers significant improvements in serviceability and reliability, enhanced connectivity and easier technology integration. These improvements — and more — take an already proven truck to the next level of productivity.
|Weights - Approximate|
|Nominal Rated Payload (33.00R51 Tires)||153 ton (US)|
|Rated Gross Machine Weight (33.00R51 tires)||550000 lb|
|Nominal Rated Payload (36.00R51 Tires)||157 ton (US)|
|Rated Gross Machine Weight (36.00R51 tires)||564000 lb|
|Chassis Weight (33.00R51 Tires)||186799 lb|
|Chassis Weight (36.00R51 Tires)||193192 lb|
|Body Weight||57779 lb|
|Note (1)||Consult your tire manufacturer for maximum tire load|
|Note (2)||Chassis weight with full fuel and fluids, standard & mandatory attachments, hoist, body mounting group, rims, and tires.|
|Note (3)||Body weight varies depending on body selection and configuration.|
|Gross Power - SAE J1995||1600 HP|
|Engine Model||Cat® 3512E|
|Net Power - SAE J1349||1509 HP|
|Emissions Rating||Fuel Optimized|
|Note (1)||Net Power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with air intake system, exhaust system, and alternator.|
|Note (2)||U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final / EU Stage V available for applicable markets.|
|Note (3)||Additional fuel optimized selectable power ratings: 1,450 hp|
|Weight Distributions - Approximate|
|Front Axle - Empty||48%|
|Rear Axle - Empty||52%|
|Front Axle - Loaded||33%|
|Rear Axle - Loaded||67%|
|Note||Weight distributions optimized with Cat body.|
|Type||Double reduction, planetary with full floating axles.|
|Total Reduction Ratio||22.75:1|
|Rims||610 mm (24") Rims (standard). 660 mm (26") Rims (optional).|
|Note (1)||Quick Change Rims optional.|
|Note (2)||Caterpillar recommends the customer evaluate all job conditions and consult tire manufacturer for proper tire selection and TKPH (TMPH) capabilities.|
|Service Brakes||Four-Corner, Wet Disc, Oil Cooled, Hydraulically Actuated|
|Front Wet Disc Brake Surface Area||9487 in²|
|Rear - Wet Disc Brake Surface Area||13908 in²|
|Standards||Service and Secondary: ISO 3450:2011|
|Parking Brake||Four corner, multi disc, spring applied, hydraulically released|
|Capacity - MSD II - 100% Fill Factor|
|Struck||72 m^3 / 94 yd^3|
|Heaped (SAE 2:1)||99 m^3 / 129 yd^3|
|Note||Consult your local Cat dealer for body recommendations.|
|Type||Twin, two-stage hydraulic cylinders with snubbing valve.|
|Pump Flow - High Idle||192.7 gal/min|
|Relief Valve Setting - Raise||2500 psi|
|Body Raise Time - High Idle||15.2 s|
|Body Lower Time - Float High Idle||15.9 s|
|Body Lower Time - Float Low Idle||16.2 s|
|Body Power Down- High Idle||15.9 s|
|Type||Self-contained nitrogen/oil cylinders, pin-to-pin mounting, top & bottom double shear clevis attachments|
|Effective Cylinder Stroke - Front||12.6 in|
|Effective Cylinder Stroke - Rear||6.5 in|
|Rear axle - Oscillation||+/- 5 degrees|
|Air Conditioning||HFC - 134A refrigerant: 24,500 Btu/h|
|Heater / Defroster||33300 Btu/h|
|Note||The operator sound pressure level, 77 dB(A) with direct drive and 75 dB9A) with optional clutch, tested to ISO 6396:2008.|
|ROPS Standards (1)||ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) meets ISO 3471:2008 for Operator and ISO 13459:2012 for Trainer.|
|FOPS Standards||FOPS (Falling Objects Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449:2005 for Operator and ISO 13459:2012 Level II for Trainer.|
|Steer Angle||36 °|
|Turning Diameter - ISO 7457:1997 (33.00R51 tires)||97.75 ft|
|Steering Standards||ISO 5010:2007|
|Service Refill Capacities|
|Fuel Tank||410 gal (US)|
|Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank||36 gal (US)|
|Cooling System||100 gal (US)|
|Crankcase||54 gal (US)|
|Front Wheels - Each||8 gal (US)|
|Differential - Final Drives||139 gal (US)|
|Steering Tank||29 gal (US)|
|Steering System - Includes Tank||45 gal (US)|
|Brake/Hoist Tank||135 gal (US)|
|Brake Hoist System - Includes Tank||160 gal (US)|
|Torque Converter - Transmission System - Including Sump||46 gal (US)|
|Dimensions (All dimensions are approximate. MSD II Body, 33R51 tires, unloaded machine.)|
|Height - Top of ROPS||17.09 ft|
|Overall Body Length||39.32 ft|
|Inside Body Length||27.29 ft|
|Overall Length||39.23 ft|
|Wheel Base||17 ft|
|Rear Axle - Tail||12.56 ft|
|Ground Clearance||3.29 ft|
|Dump Clearance||3.7 ft|
|Loading Height - Empty||17.39 ft|
|Inside Body Depth - Maximum||9.15 ft|
|Overall Height - Body Raised||39.48 ft|
|Operating Width||24.72 ft|
|Centerline Front Tire Width||15.91 ft|
|Engine Guard Clearance||3.41 ft|
|Overall Canopy Width||24.81 ft|
|Outside Body Width||22 ft|
|Inside Body Width||19.72 ft|
|Front Canopy Height||19.8 ft|
|Rear Axle - Clearance||3.25 ft|
|Centerline of Rear Dual Tire Width||14.06 ft|
|Overall Tire Width||20.59 ft|
|Forward - 1||7.5 mile/h|
|Forward - 2||10.2 mile/h|
|Forward - 3||13.8 mile/h|
|Forward - 4||18.6 mile/h|
|Forward - 5||25.2 mile/h|
|Forward - 6||34 mile/h|
|Top Speed - Loaded||34 mile/h|
|Note||Maximum travel speeds with standard 33.00-R51 tires.|
- The Advanced Power Electronic Control Strategy (APECS) enables faster cycle times thanks to more continuous torque and rimpull.
- Forward momentum and torque are maintained through each shift, with optimum gear selection resulting in faster acceleration.
- The 785 delivers a 6% higher TKPH /TMPH (tonne-kilometer-per-hour / ton-mile-per-hour) thanks to larger tire options that allow allow mines to take advantage of higher speeds, particularly in flat, long-haul, high-speed applications.
- Productivity-enhancing features such as Hill Start Assist with Anti-Rollback, Enhanced Traction Control, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Machine Speed Limiting and Cruise Control improve machine responsiveness and controllability while improving cycle times and reducing operator fatigue.
- Wide, slip-resistant surfaces and hand rails, plus an optional powered access ladder, improve access and egress.
- Superior control is delivered by a patented braking system that provides immediate, fade-resistant braking and retarding.
- Visibility is enhanced by an optional 360-degree Surround View camera, which offers a bird’s-eye view.
- The Cat MineStar™ Object Detection system combines radar and camera systems to warn operators about light vehicles or stationary hazards within the immediate vicinity of their machines.
- The optional Driver Safety System alerts the operator if fatigue or distraction are detected.
- The cab provides 34% more operator space than D-Series models. It’s 17% wider and offers 11% more legroom and 19% more shoulder room. Controls, levers and switches are positioned for ease of use.
- With 40% less Sound Pressure Level (SPL), automated temperature control and cab filtration, operators enjoy a safer and more comfortable environment.
- A walkthrough cab with fully adjustable center console, easy-to-adjust seat and increased leg room makes the cab ideal for operators of all sizes.
- The next generation seat is four-point-restraint ready and incorporates features like thigh tilt and extensions, air adjustable side and lumbar bolsters, and heated and cooled cushions.
- Operators enjoy a more comfortable ride thanks to smoother transitional shifting and reduced shift jerk levels provided by APECS controls.
OPERATOR EFFICIENCY & PRODUCTIVITY
- Higher resolution displays improve access to information. Machine data, controls and guidance information are consolidated onto two ideally located 10-inch screens.
- The optional Auto Hoist feature automatically raises the body and controls engine speed, simplifying operation and minimizing cycle times.
- Speed coaching gives operators real-time feedback on how to operate the truck to maximize its productivity.
- The payload monitoring system comes with more accurate measurements, providing immediate feedback to the operator.
- The new modular HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system improves reliability and consolidates components so the entire system can be removed and replaced quickly.
- A modular radiator reduces engine removal and installation time and enables rebuilds to be completed off the truck.
- New remote flash and remote troubleshooting capabilities provide immediate access to the latest software updates and make it possible to troubleshoot the machine remotely.
- Time spent on regular maintenance procedures is reduced thanks to features such as extended-interval filters with ground-level access; grouped service points and optional centralized service center; cleaner hydraulic and electrical routings; SOS and pressure ports for faster, safer oil sampling and troubleshooting; and fluid-level sight glasses.
- A 100% airless electric start option eliminates air system maintenance from the machine and improves uptime.
DURABILITY AND LONG LIFE
- Longer-life components, extended service intervals and easier maintenance deliver consistently high mechanical availability.
- A reduction in torque spikes and fewer variations in engine speed, made possible by APECS controls, deliver longer engine and powertrain component life.
- The 785 frame uses a box-section design, incorporating two forgings and 21 castings in high-stress areas with deep penetrating and continuous wrap-around welds to resist damage from twisting loads without adding extra weight. The mild steel frame provides flexibility, durability and resistance to impact loads.
- Component life is enhanced thanks to the standard rear-axle continuous filtration feature. Cleaner oil helps promote lubrication that leads to longer life
- The frame, powertrain, engine and components are built to be rebuilt — delivering multiple lives of like-new performance at a fraction-of-new price.
- Caterpillar designed and manufactured bodies are integrated with the chassis as a unit to optimize performance and incorporate optional Tier 4 components, including body exhaust heat.
- The lightweight Mine Specific Design (MSD) body is designed with built-in carryback reduction features (front wall curved transition and corner pop-out plates) and is available with optional application-specific body liners.
- Intended for tough applications, the heavy-duty Dual Slope body provides excellent load retention, maintains a low center of gravity with optimum load distribution and reduces shock loading.
- The 785 is designed to use less fuel, which reduces engine emissions, and there is zero fuel burn during retarding. The Tier 4 Final engine reduces NOx and particulate matter.
- The Cat 3512E engine’s 12-cylinder four-stroke design uses long, effective power strokes for more complete fuel combustion and optimum fuel efficiency.
- The 785 engine is compatible with diesel fuel blended with lower-carbon intensity fuels such as biofuels and renewable fuels.
- Features like oil renewal systems, continuous rear axle filtration, extended life filters and longer maintenance intervals decrease the amount of waste contributed to the environment.
- By rebuilding machines and components, the Cat Rebuild and Cat Reman programs preserve raw materials, conserve energy and reduce emissions.
- The 785 is available in a cold-weather configuration that makes it ideal for mines operating in frigid environments. It features automatic engine thermal management, a variable fan speed for low temperature operation, and an electric- or air-start option.
- The 3512E engine gives you the ability to select the power rating to match your current fleet performance or to achieve faster cycle times.
- The 23% net torque rise provides unequaled lugging force during acceleration, on steep grades and in rough underfoot conditions.
- Tire options allow you to select the tire that best matches your application, with a larger tire for flat, long, high-speed applications. The frame is designed to maintain the same turning diameter while accommodating larger tires.
- The 785 is available in two options to meet emissions standards. The optional Tier 4 Final engine meets the strictest standards while the LRC engine is available in those countries that are less regulated.
- MineStar Fleet is a fleet monitoring system that can be used to measure, manage and maximize the overall hauling operation.
- Additional MineStar Detect offerings include Awareness, which can provide warnings, and the in-cab Driver Safety System, which intervenes when it detects fatigue or distraction.
- Machine health and condition monitoring solutions enable a proactive approach to maintenance.
BETTER ACCESS TO DATA
- Next generation connectivity delivers faster data transfers, better access to data, consistent data communication, more actionable data, improved data analytics and new diagnostic capabilities.
- The backbone of the next generation machine is 100 Mbps two-wire ethernet communication across the machine controllers, sensors that are optimized for data analytics, and robust controls.
- Advanced connectivity on the 785 truck is enabled by standard cellular 4G/LTE, optional dual mode 4G/LTE and Satellite Product Link™, or locally installed Wi-Fi.
- Every machine from the factory comes with Product Link Elite as a standard offering. This solution enables the truck to collect and transmit information into locally-hosted or cloud-hosted applications.
- 24V electrical system, low maintenance batteries (2) 93 amp-hour
- Alarm, backup
- Brushless alternator, 225 amp
- Ground accessible power control box: Ethernet VIMS™ port and VIMS lamp; Engine starter; transmission and battery lockouts
- Jump start/battery charge receptacle
- LED payload indicator lamps
- LED Lighting system: Back-up and hazard lights, Curb lights, (one) RH side, (one) LH side, Turn signals (front and rear), Engine compartment lights, Headlights with low-high beam selector, Ladder light and service deck lights, Stop/tail lights
- Extended Life Coolant to — 35° C (— 30° F)
- Operator Environment
- 5V USB charging port
- 12V auxiliary power connection
- Cup holders
- Diagnostic connection port COM3 and Ethernet
- Delayed Engine Shutdown
- Dome courtesy light and map lights
- Entertainment radio ready: Speakers, Optional Antenna (AM/FM/WB/satellite radio), Radio mounting provisions and 12V power supply
- Fire suppression ready
- Floor mat, multi-piece & replaceable
- Gauges and indicators panel: Critical oil and coolant temperatures; Fuel and DEF level (if applicable); Engine system, brake and transmission fault indicators; Operator selectable max. machine speed by rotary dial; Speedometer, Tachometer
- Heated mirrors, right and left
- Hoist, body control
- Interactive touchscreen vehicle information display: Day/night mode; Action alarm; Quad gauge display
- Operator and trainer air suspension seats
- Operator Door Power Window
- Provision for customer accessory mounting
- Push button secure start
- Retractable front visor
- ROPS cab, insulated/sound suppressed
- Stairway and walkway access, 600 mm (24 in)
- Steering wheel, tiltable, telescopic
- Self-filling to windshield washer fluid from AC condensate
- Storage locations for operator gear
- Three point seat belt for operator seat
- Windshield wiper, intermittent control / washer
- Unitized hydraulic powered HVAC with automatic temperature control
- Ventilated operator seat
- Power Train
- 33R51 power train with standard rims
- Cat 3512E engine: Automatic engine and DEF thermal management (if applicable); Automatic low voltage idle management; Air cleaner with precleaner (two); Turbocharging (four) with air-to-air aftercooler; Mechanical Electronic Unit Injector (MEUI™-A) fuel system; Automatic starter protection; Automatic ether starting aid
- Hydraulic braking system: Automatic retarder control (ARC), adjustable and automatic; Brake release motor (towing); Engine over speed protection; Extended life brake disc material; Hill start assist/Anti roll back strategy; Oil-cooled, multi-disc (front and rear) — Service, retarding, parking, secondary; Park brake integrated with gear selector
- Transmission :Six-speed, automatic power shift with Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC); Advanced Productivity Electronic Control Strategy (APECS); Body-up reverse neutralizer; Body-up shift inhibitor; Downshift/reverse shift inhibitor; Directional shift management; Enhanced Traction Control System; Programmable top gear; Oil level sensor; Neutral coast inhibitor; Neutral start switch; Lock-up torque converter; Rear axle continuous lubrication/filtration
- Turbine air starter with air tank, air horn and automatic lubrication system
- Other Equipment
- Auxiliary "buddy" dumping quick connect
- Auxiliary connection 'user defined shutdown'
- Auxiliary steering quick connect (towing)
- Fast fill fuel and DEF remote fill system
- Guards for rotating components
- Hill Start Assist
- Hydraulic Filters, 1,000 hours
- Remote flash software and troubleshooting
- Secondary steering (automatic)
- Tie off points
- Tow hooks (front) and tow pin (rear)
- Sight glasses for hydraulic oils
- SOS℠ ports
- Vital Information Management System (VIMS)
- Cat Technology Products
- Cyber security
- Integrated object detection system with touchscreen display
- Tire Payload Monitoring System 2 (TPMS 2)
- Product Link™ Elite
- Auxiliary rear work lights, (one) LH side
- Digital Payload Display
- LED Lighting system: Additional lighting package, Auxiliary VIMS, Body rear, Seat & park brake
- Workshop horn
- Truck Bodies
- MSD II body: 100 m3 (131 yd3)
- Dual slope body: 78 m3 (102 yd3)
- Body specific side wall and tail extensions
- Customizable body liner packages
- Body heat exhaust
- Rock ejectors
- Rear body lighting group: Directional signals, Stop/tail lights
- Extended Life Coolant to — 50° C (— 58° F)
- Operator Environment
- Emergency stop
- Deluxe Cab: Advanced cabin filtration system; Catwalk and handrails for rear cab access; Heated, cooled and ventilated front seat; Power right side window; Suspended companion seat; Storage tray
- Power Train
- No air – electric starter with 93-amp hour batteries (four), electric horn and automatic lubrication system
- Hydraulic braking system: Advanced ground control with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Variable speed fan drive
- Transmission: Engine pre-lubrication system; Rear axle continuous lubrication/filtration with cooler
- Other Equipment
- 2560 L (676 gal) fuel tank (non-Tier 4)
- Body heat exhaust
- Bumper towing – center pin kit
- Cold weather start (block heater)
- Communication Ar – Minestar™ radio
- Fire extinguisher, portable
- Five piece crankcase guards
- Fuel heater, fuel water separator
- Fuel tank mud guard
- Gauge, brake wear indicator
- Ground accessible fluid service center, hydraulic and coolant
- Hub odometer, kilometers
- Powered access stairway
- Rim Diffuser
- Wheel chocks
- Wireless Electronic Technician (ET)
- Working at heights protection
- Cat Technology Products
- Cruise control
- 360 degree surround view camera
- 4G cellular/satellite dual mode
- Connectivity bundle (includes: wireless operator ID, bluetooth key FOB to start)
- Driver Safety System (DSS) 4.0 Ready
- Minestar GPS
- Minestar communication group (enables: Minestar Fleet, Aux, and Truck Spotting)
- Oil Renewal System (ORS) (non-Tier 4)
- Road Analysis Control (RAC)