Bulldozers and Their Use in Construction
Category: Equipment and Solutions
Bulldozers are essential pieces of heavy equipment used in numerous industries and applications, including construction, mining, agriculture and landscaping. Dozers are characterized by their tractor-style body and metal plate blade at the front. Some models may also have an attachment at the back to perform various other functions such as digging. The most common attachment is the ripper, which functions like a giant claw. Dozers run on heavy-duty tracks to provide better grip and mobility on uneven terrain.
What Is a Bulldozer Used For?
A bulldozer is an earthmoving machine designed to push large quantities of rubble, soil, sand and other loose materials. They were originally used by farmers as tractors to plow and clear land. Over time, dozers have evolved to accommodate a variety of environments and applications with high levels of efficiency. Today, bulldozers are used for everything from building roads to clearing building sites.
What Are the Types of Dozers?
There are three main classifications of bulldozers.
- Crawler bulldozer: Also known as a track bulldozer, crawlers feature a heavy plate used to load and push hefty objects. They are ideal for maneuvering over uneven surfaces and hauling heavy materials, and they work well in applications with challenging terrain. A large crawler may be fitted with a ripper to crush and clear dense land.
- Wheel bulldozer: Larger and more maneuverable than crawlers, wheel bulldozers operate on a smaller axis and feature tires for better handling. These types of bulldozers are great for leveling and moving materials, and since tires cause less soil damage than tracks, they serve well in areas with soft ground.
- Mini bulldozer: Also known as a compact dozer, mini dozers are smaller in size and offer greater speed, maneuverability and versatility. They are ideal for maneuvering in tight spaces and performing quick work. Mini bulldozers are used for many different functions, especially in the construction of residential projects where space is at a prem.
Each type of bulldozer comes in different sizes and can be fitted with several different blades, including:
- S-blade: Short blade with no side wings.
- U-blade: Universal blade that has a curved shape and large side wings.
- S-U blade: Semi-universal blade with a slightly curved and narrow shape and side wings.
- Angle blade: Two-way blade that provides angled movement.
- Power-Angle-Tilt (PAT) blade: Controlled, multidirectional blade.
How to Know Which Type of Dozer You Need
Choosing the right dozer is crucial to the safety and efficiency of your project. To determine the right dozer and blade types for your needs, you have to consider key factors such as your project type, terrain type and material-moving requirements.
If you’re not sure which type of dozer you need, the experts at NMC Cat can help. Our experienced sales team has in-depth knowledge of all the equipment in our inventory and can quickly identify the best solution based on your specific project requirements.
At NMC Cat, we have a vast selection of new, used and rental dozers available. To find out more about what we have to offer, contact us today or visit us at one of our store locations in Nebraska or Pottawattamie County, Iowa.