The Cat® 980 XE Wheel Loader delivers increased fuel efficiency, premium performance with simple-to-use standard technologies to boost operator efficiencies, and lower maintenance costs. This machine is designed to meet emission standards without interrupting operation. Improved performance, reliability, durability, and versatility result in a machine that is better built to meet your needs.
|Net Power @ 1,700 rpm – ISO 9249:2007, SAE J1349:2011||393 HP|
|Engine Model||Cat C13|
|Note (2)||The net power advertised is the power available at the flywheel when the engine is equipped with fan, alternator, air cleaner, and aftertreatment.|
|Note (1)||Cat engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final and EU Stage V emission standards.|
|Gross Torque @ 1,200 rpm – SAE J1995:2014||1627 lb/ft|
|Engine Torque @ 1,200 rpm – ISO 14396:2002||1612 lb/ft|
|Net Torque @ 1,100 rpm – ISO 9249:2007, SAE J1349:2011||1539 lb/ft|
|Engine Power @ 1,700 rpm – ISO 14396:2002||420 HP|
|Gross Power @ 1,700 rpm – SAE J1995:2014||425 HP|
|Operating Weight||66877 lb|
|Note||Weight based on a machine configuration with Bridgestone 29.5R25 VSNT L4 radial tires, full fluids, operator, standard counterweight, ride control cold start, roading fenders, Product Link, open differential axles (front/rear), secondary steering, sound s|
|Bucket Range||4.0-14.5 m³ 5.25-19 yd³|
|Forward - 1||4.4 mile/h|
|Forward - 2||8.4 mile/h|
|Forward - 3||14.9 mile/h|
|Forward - 4||24.5 mile/h|
|Note||Maximum travel speed in standard vehicle with empty bucket and standard L4 tires with 935 mm (37 in) roll radius.|
|Reverse - 1||5 mile/h|
|Reverse - 2||9.6 mile/h|
|Reverse - 3||18.3 mile/h|
|Note (1)||For machines in European Union countries and in countries that adopt the EU Directives.|
|Note (2)||European Union Directive 2000/14/EC as amended by 2005/88/EC.|
|With Cooling Fan Speed at 70% of Maximum Value - Exterior Sound Power Level*||110|
|With Cooling Fan Speed at 70% of Maximum Value - Operator Sound Pressure Level (ISO 6396:2008)||70 dB(A)|
|With Cooling Fan Speed at Maximum Speed - Exterior Sound Power Level (ISO 6395:2008)||107 dB(A)|
|With Cooling Fan Speed at Maximum Speed - Exterior Sound Pressure Level (SAE J88:2013)||75|
|With Cooling Fan Speed at Maximum Speed - Operator Sound Pressure Level (ISO 6396:2008)||70 dB(A)|
|Air Conditioning System|
|Air Conditioning||The air conditioning system on this machine contains the fluorinated greenhouse gas refrigerant R134a (Global Warming Potential = 1430). The system contains 1.9 kg (4.2 lb) of refrigerant which has a CO2 equivalent 2.717 metric tonnes (2.995 tons).|
|Breakout Force||51008 lbf|
|Note (1)||For a machine configuration as defined under Weight.|
|Note (2)||Full compliance to ISO 14397-1:2007 Sections 1 thru 6, which requires 2% verification between calculations and testing.|
|Static Tipping Load - Full 40° Turn - No Tire Deflection||20965 kg|
|Static Tipping Load - Full 40° Turn - With Tire Deflection||43432 lb|
|Service Refill Capacities|
|Cooling System||13.7 gal (US)|
|Crankcase||9.8 gal (US)|
|DEF Tank||5.5 gal (US)|
|Differential - Final Drives - Front||24.3 gal (US)|
|Differential - Final Drives - Rear||24.3 gal (US)|
|Fuel Tank||112.5 gal (US)|
|Hydraulic Tank||40.4 gal (US)|
|Transmission||20.3 gal (US)|
|Implement System - Maximum Operating Pressure||4975 psi|
|Hydraulic Cycle Time - Total||10.1 seconds|
|Note||All dimensions are approximate and based on machine equipped with 5.4 m3 (7.1 yd3) general purpose bucket with BOCE and Bridgestone 29.5R25 VSNT L4 radial tires.|
|Dimensions - High Lift|
|Centerline of Rear Axle to Edge of Counterweight||8.9 ft|
|Centerline of Rear Axle to Hitch||6.3 ft|
|Ground Clearance||1.5 ft|
|Height - Top of Exhaust Pipe||12.5 ft|
|Height - Top of Hood||10.1 ft|
|Height - Top of ROPS||12.7 ft|
|Hinge Pin Height at Carry||2.2 ft|
|Hinge Pin Height at Maximum Lift||15.7 ft|
|Lift Arm Clearance at Maximum Lift||13.6 ft|
|Overall Length - Without Bucket||27.5 ft|
|Tread Width||8 ft|
|Wheel Base||12.6 ft|
|Width over Tires (Loaded)||10.9 ft|
|Dimensions - Standard Lift|
|Centerline of Rear Axle to Edge of Counterweight||8.7 ft|
|Centerline of Rear Axle to Hitch||6.3 ft|
|Ground Clearance||456 mm|
|Height - Top of Exhaust Pipe||3764 mm|
|Height - Top of Hood||3064 mm|
|Height - Top of ROPS||3829 mm|
|Hinge Pin Height at Carry||2 ft|
|Hinge Pin Height at Maximum Lift||4554 mm|
|Lift Arm Clearance at Maximum Lift||3881 mm|
|Overall Length - Without Bucket||8155 mm|
|Tread Width||8 ft|
|Wheel Base||3800 mm|
|Width over Tires (Loaded)||10.9 ft|
Superior Fuel Efficiency
- Up to 35% better fuel efficiency compared to previous Cat model.
- Deep system integration of the Cat continuously variable transmission, engine, hydraulic, and cooling systems results in significantly increased performance and fuel efficiency.
- Eliminating the torque converter allows the capability to control engine rpm and machine speed independently, resulting in efficient digging, fine control, and easy operation.
- Lower rated engine speed reduces component wear and operating noise.
- Power dense engine burns less fuel by providing power and torque when needed.
Achieve Greater Productivity
- Continuously variable transmission delivers smooth, fast acceleration and speed on grade.
- Machine maneuvering on grade is made easy with speed-hold and anti-rollback.
- Integrated continuously variable transmission provides maximum, steady power at optimal speeds.
- Advanced rimpull control for best loading efficiency in the pile and tire wear reduction.
- New Autodig with Auto Set Tires for consistent high bucket fill factors.
- Application Profiles optimize machine settings for different applications at one push of a button.
- Job Aids help operators improve and optimize their operating skills.
- Performance Series Buckets utilize a system-based approach to balance bucket shape against the machine's linkage, resulting in higher fill factors and better material retention when compared with other buckets of the same rated capacity.
- Automatic engine idle shutdown system significantly reduces idle time, overall operating hours, and fuel consumption.
- Dual ride control accumulator system enables a wide payload range and better ride quality.
- Optional limited slip differentials increase traction and reduce tire slip, lowering operating costs.
- Optional aggregate handler configuration offers higher payload capability for loose aggregate handling.** **Optional configurations and equipment may vary from region to region and require conformance to Caterpillar payload policy. Consult your dealer or Caterpillar representative for details.
Smart Machine for Efficient Operation
- Standard Cat technologies to monitor, manage, and enhance your jobsite operations.
-Cat Payload with Assist provides accurate weighing*** of the bucket payloads. Data is displayed in real time to improve productivity and loading accuracy with manual tip-off.
-Product Link™ wirelessly connects the machine to the office, giving you access to production and essential health information needed to make timely, fact-based decisions to help you better run your business.
-New Autodig allows the operator to fully automate bucket loading to improve fill factors and loading time.
-Auto Set Tires promotes proper loading technique, significantly reducing tire slip and tire wear.
-Onboard Job Aids and Operator Controls Help to ease operation.
- Optional Cat Advanced Payload with Assist:
-Tip Off Assist automatizes load of the final bucket to match hauling unit target.
-Enhanced lists management, site integration, and extended scale features to help manage and improve productivity and profitability of operations.
- Optional Cat Productivity subscription provides detailed and comprehensive actionable information to help you manage and improve the productivity and profitability of your operations.
***Not legal for trade.
- Cat C13 engine offers high power density with a combination of proven electronics, fuel, and air systems.
- Equipped with automatic Cat regeneration system, Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM) with Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), and Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank and pump.
- Features an electric fuel priming pump, fuel-water separator, and secondary filtration system.
- Thorough component design and machine validation processes result in unmatched reliability and uptime.
- Rear-vision camera enhances visibility behind the machine, helping you work safely and confidently.
- Optional 360˚ vision system helps the operator monitor the surroundings of the machine at all times.
- Optional Cat Detect radar technology enhances awareness by monitoring the working environment and alerts operators to hazards.
- Cab access with wide door, optional remote door opening, and stair-like steps add solid stability.
- Floor-to-ceiling windshield, large mirrors with integrated spot mirrors, and rear-vision camera provide industry leading all-around visibility.
- Computerized monitoring system includes several warning indicators.
- Monitored seat belt is standard and can be enhanced with an optional exterior indicator.
- Optional access light and under-hood service light system to provide illuminated access to the machine and daily checks even in the dark.
Reduced Maintenance Time & Costs
- Extended fluid and filter change intervals reduce maintenance costs by up to 20%.*
- Convenient access to hydraulic and electrical service centers for easy and safe servicing.
- Remote Troubleshoot can connect the machine to the dealer service department to help diagnose problems quickly so you can get back to work.
- Remote Flash works around your schedule to ensure your machine’s software is up to date for optimal performance.
- The Cat App helps you manage fleet location, hours, and maintenance schedules; it also alerts you for required maintenance and allows you to request service from your local Cat dealer.
- Integrated Autolube extends component and service life.
- One-piece tilting hood makes engine compartment access fast and easy.
- With Fusion™ Quick Coupler, buckets can be changed without leaving the cab, allowing the machine to quickly move from task to task.
*Parts and fluids only
- Heavy-duty axles designed to handle extreme applications.
- Full-flow hydraulic filtration system with additional kidney-loop filtration improves hydraulic system reliability and component life.
Work in Comfort in the All New Cab
- Next-generation, easily adjustable seat and suspension for improved operator comfort. It comes in three trim levels and can be equipped with a 4-point harness.
- Increased legroom and adjustable seat controls for increased comfort and efficiency.
- Automatic air conditioning system keeps the cab cool as desired.
- New in-cab dashboard and high-resolution touch display(s) are easy to use, intuitive, and user friendly.
- Sound suppression, seals, and viscous cab mounts decrease noise and vibration for a quieter work environment.
- The seat-mounted electro-hydraulic joystick steering system provides precision control and dramatically reduces arm fatigue, resulting in excellent comfort and accuracy. An HMU steering wheel is also available.
- The next generation of ride control works as a shock absorber, improving ride quality over rough terrain.
- Inclined steps and convenient grab handles ease accessibility to the operating space.
- Extended windows enhance visibility, while convex and spot mirrors extend the driver’s view on the sides and rear.
Purpose-built Specialty Configurations
- Application-specific arrangements direct from the factory for optimized performance and added durability in the toughest applications, including:
– Industrial and waste models feature guarding and reinforcement necessary for work in transfer stations, recycling depots, scrap yards, and demolition sites.
– Forestry model increases lift and tilt capacities for efficient and productive log and chip handling in paper, pellet, and sawmills.
– Steel mill model is designed for the challenging work environment of steel mills and slag handling applications, incorporating an added level of safety.
– Block handler model is built with the strength and stability to get the work done in block quarries.
- The Cat® C13 engine meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final and EU Stage V emission standards.
- The 980 XE emits up to 17% less CO2 than the previous 980M*.
- Cat diesel engines are required to use ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel with 15 ppm of sulfur or less) or ULSD blended with the following lower-carbon intensity fuels up to: 20% biodiesel FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) ** or 100% renewable diesel, HVO (hydrogenated vegetable oil) and GTL (gas-to-liquid) fuels. Refer to guidelines for successful application. Please consult your Cat dealer or “Caterpillar Machine Fluids Recommendations” (SEBU6250) for details.
- The Cat® clean emissions module includes Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technologies to reduce the engine’s emissions.
- Engine Idle Shutdown Timer reduces fuel burn, greenhouse gas emissions and unnecessary idle time by shutting down the machine after a pre-set idling period.
- Autodig helps you work more efficiently and productively and reduce fuel burn, greenhouse gas emissions, machine wear and operator fatigue.
- Auto Set Tires reduce tire wear and lowers fuel burn and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Extended maintenance intervals not only reduce downtime but decrease the amount of fluid and filters that are replaced over the life of the machine.
- Rear Object Detection for the 980 XE helps enhance job site safety and blind spot awareness when operating in reverse.
- Cat® Payload technology maximizes loading efficiency, helping operators of every skill level work more accurately to reduce load time, fuel costs and greenhouse gas emissions. Upgrade to Advanced Payload for expanded features and capabilities that can further increase operator efficiency and accuracy.
- Cat VisionLink® displays the CO2 emissions for monitored assets, calculated by fuel type for the Runtime Fuel Burned each day in a selected date range.
- Remote Flash minimizes downtime and maintenance time while keeping your asset running with maximum efficiency. Alerts for machine updates are sent virtually from your Cat dealer and updates can be deployed without a dealer technician needing to be onsite.
- Remote Troubleshoot decreases maintenance time and keeps your machine running with maximum efficiency by allowing your Cat dealer to virtually test the machine while working. Once a problem is identified, a technician can fix it the first time, saving time and money.
*All comparisons to 980M. Productivity, fuel and CO2 emissions vary by application. CO2 emissions calculations based on a reference work cycle using 2.2 U.S. gallons per hour of #2 U.S. diesel fuel based. Applies IPCC2006 methodology using U.S. EPA Emissions Hub emission factors. Includes DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) related CO2. Fuel measurements are at 15°C. Estimated average fuel consumption improvements are based on tests or Product Link® data where available. Productivity improvements are based on test data. When compared to the 980H (2010) and accounting for productivity improvements, the 980 XE emits up to 45% less CO2 per ton of material moved.
**Engines with no aftertreatment devices can use higher blends, up to 100% biodiesel.
- Operator Environment
- Cab, pressurized, sound suppression
- EH implement controls, parking brake
- Steering, joystick
- Seat, suede/cloth, air suspension, heated
- Touchscreen display
- Visibility: mirrors, rear-vision camera
- Mirrors, heated
- Air conditioner, heater, defroster (auto temp, fan)
- Sun visor, front, retractable
- Sun visor, rear, retractable
- Window cleaning platform, front
- Windows, front, safety laminated rounded glass
- On-board Technologies
- Cat Payload scale
- Autodig with Auto Set Tires
- Operator ID & machine security
- Application Profiles
- Job Aids
- Controls Help and eOMM
- Power Train
- Cat C13 engine
- Electric fuel priming pump
- Fuel-water separator and secondary fuel filter
- Engine, air precleaner
- Axles, open differentials
- Axles, ecology drains
- Transmission, continuous variable
- Rimpull control
- Throttle lock mode
- Service brakes, hydraulic, fully enclosed wet disc, wear indicators
- Hill and speed hold on grades
- Park brake, caliper on front axles, spring applied-pressure released
- Implement system, load sensing with variable displacement piston pump
- Steering system, load sensing with dedicated variable displacement piston pump
- Ride control, dual accumulators
- Oil sampling valves, Cat XT™ hoses
- Starting and charging system, 24V
- Starter, electric, heavy duty
- Lights: halogen, 4 work lights, 2 rear-vision lights
- Lights: roading with turn signals
- Monitoring System
- Front dash with analog gauges, LCD display, and warning lights
- Primary touchscreen monitor (Cat Payload, quad screens, machine settings & messages)
- Standard lift, Z-bar
- Kickouts: lift and tilt
- Operator Environment
- Door, remote opening system
- Entertainment radio (FM, AM, USB, BT)
- Entertainment radio (DAB+)
- CB radio ready
- Seat, leather/cloth, air suspension, heated/ cooled
- 360° vision system
- Cat Detect rear radar system
- Dedicated rearview screen
- Windows, front, heavy duty, or full guards
- On-board Technologies
- Cat Advanced Payload
- Cat Payload Printer
- Power Train
- Turbine, air precleaner
- Radiator, high debris
- Cooling fan, reversible
- Axles, limited slip differential(s)
- Axles, AOC ready, extreme temperature seals
- Axles, oil cooler
- 3rd auxiliary function with ride control
- Quick coupler control
- Cold start, 120V or 240V
- Lights: LED
- Warning beacon
- Monitoring System
- Reversing strobe lights
- High lift, Z-bar
- Additional Equipment
- Cat Autolube system
- Fenders, extensions or roading
- Guards: power train, crankcase, cab, cylinders, rear
- Biodegradable hydraulic oil
- High-speed oil change system
- Fast fill fuel tank
- Wheel chocks
- Secondary steering system, electrical
- Special Configurations
- Aggregate handler
- Waste and industrial
- Forestry, logger